The position is very HANDS-ON. No experience is required, we can train you to become an excellent Dark Room Technician.
The dark room is the heart of the print shop, as this is where the art is applied to the screens - and where the quality or the work starts.
Main focus will be reclaim and create screens all while keeping an organized and tidy workspace.
This job is perfect for someone that likes to work alone, with headphones on, doing oddly satisfying manual work.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Pre-Production: racking and organizing screens, coating screens with emulsion, printing artwork with our DTS machine, washing out screens, taping screens, and ensuring a quality print
- Post-production: de-taping screens, removing ink, reclaiming screens in the washout booth using a power washer, and re-racking screens drying
- May require other print shop assistant tasks
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Open to nearly all skills and experience. We can and will train you.
- Experience in physically demanding work (preferred)
- Experience in fast-paced work environment (preferred)
- Prior garment embellishment experience will be a bonus
- Prior production-based experience will be a bonus
- Prior color/ink/design experience will be a bonus
SKILLS AND CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS:
- Maintain an orderly and clean working area
- Must be reliable and show up on time for work
- Strong attention to detail and quality
- Perform within a fast-paced environment
- Ability to problem solve and think creatively
- Physical ability to stand for hours at a time
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds
Part-time to full-time potential (20+ hours per week); shop operating hours 8am-6pm Monday-Friday (some weekends may be required).
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Subject: “Dark Room Tech”
- 2 Reference contacts
- Instagram or website link (optional but preferred)
SMPLFD is a Detroit-based clothing company founded in 2007. SMPLFD is both a streetwear brand and a custom clothing production facility. Located in a recently renovated warehouse space in Detroit's Islandview neighborhood, SMPLFD specialize in screen printing, embroidery, and graphic design to produce custom wearables and accessories for their brand and for clientele.