Experienced Press Operator
SMPLFD Printing Co is now hiring an experienced Press Operator at its Detroit-based print shop.
This is not a position where you'll be trained or taught, we need you to be able to step in day one and operate the presses. Be professional, be punctual, be able to solve problems on the fly, thrive in a team environment, and have a strong sense of pride in the quality of your work.
The Press Operator is responsible for the daily operation of an M&R Diamondback™ Automatic Printing Press. We currently have two inside of our shop to handle the demand of our clients. We also have two manual M&R presses in the building, which are mostly utilized for internal branded printing and staff use. We expect the timely completion of each job and always strive for the pursuit of excellence. That’s not limited to the work we put out, but also in how we work.
The Press Operator works closely with the Production Manager to ensure the right decisions are made in the process and execution of each job. All jobs and clients, big or small, require close attention and should be treated equally. Printavo™ is the database app. for our customer jobs, used for reviewing every detail of customer jobs, including the digital proof(s), garment details, ink information, due dates, and so forth. With each job's setup and registration, all press operators are trained and expected to utilize the M&R Tri-Lock® System for the best efficiency inside the shop.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Work as a team w/ Print Shop Assistants, Press Operators, and Production Management for the best success every day.
- Daily operation of M&R Diamondback™ Automatic screen printing presses.
- Setting multi-color jobs using the Tri-Lock® system and Micro Adjustments.
- Follow work orders closely and perform tasks in a timely manner.
- Load and/or unload shirts on and off the press efficiently and with precision.
- Examine work orders to help determine estimated printing times, ink, and material quantities with the Production Manager.
- Perform Cleaning and Maintenance of Press(es) Dryers and Print Room daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly for preventative measures and care of the important equipment.
- Reporting immediately if there are issues with the equipment or if any parts on the machine require special maintenance or replacement.
- Occasionally set up and tear down of presses when assistance is unavailable.
- Work with Print Shop Assistant to create a healthy, happy, and efficient working environment.
- Perform quality checks throughout the printing process.
- Provide training and onboarding of new staff members with the M&R equipment when needed.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience operating an automatic screen printing press
- Experience with printing with and mixing plastisol ink is required
- Experience in water-based inks is a plus, not required
- Maintain an orderly and clean working area
- Must be reliable and show up on time for work
- Strong attention to detail and quality
- Perform quickly, but controlled inside a fast-paced environment
- Ability to problem solve and think creatively on the fly.
- Physically fit to operate the press equipment and stand on your feet for long periods of time.
JOB TYPE: Full-time hours (35-40 hours per week); shop operating hours 8am-6pm, Monday-Friday (some weekends may be required).
HOURS & COMPENSATION:
- Non-exempt employee status
- $18-23/hour depending on experience
- Health benefits, participation in company profit sharing program, PTO.
- Please email a cover letter, resume, and 2 reference contacts (name, relationship, phone #) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: “Press Operator”
- Including your Instagram, portfolio, or website link is optional
SMPLFD is a Detroit-based clothing company founded in 2007. SMPLFD is both a streetwear brand and a custom clothing production facility. Located in a recently renovated warehouse space in Detroit's Islandview neighborhood, SMPLFD specialize in screen printing, embroidery, and graphic design to produce custom wearables and accessories for their brand and for clientele.